Re: NANFA-- arrow darter and saddled darter group

Mark B (mbinkley_at_earthling.net)
Fri, 14 Apr 2000 12:35:17 -0400

At 11:12 PM +0700 4/14/00, tony wrote:
>Has anyone here experienced keeping arrow darter and darters of the variegated
>darter group [eg. Kanawha darter, candy darter, etc.] and tangerine darter?
>Compare to redline and orangethroat darter are there much harder to keep? Do
>they keep ok color most of the year or will the color fade quickly after
>spawning
>season? How do they fare in 75-80 'F? Are they easy to feed and breed?
>Tony
>opsarius_at_loxinfo.co.th

I have experience with E variatum and E osburni. Wild fish as usual will
need careful attention to feeding. They will decline if kept in a
food-competitive setup. Temp is probably not a big deal, but warmth will
increase metabolism and food requirements and will likely shorten their
lifespan. E variatum seems to fade quite a bit from breeding color. E
osburni seems to retain its color well. I have osburni on freeze-dried
foods. The older fish I had died off. The ones that were younger
(smaller) at the time of collecting are doing well. I have a small number
of fry and plan to produce more. The initial spawning was by
wild-conditioned fish at the natural spawning time. That is virtually fool
proof. Don't know yet about captive conditioning. Check back with me in a
month or two!

Mark Binkley
Columbus Ohio USA <))><
mbinkley_at_earthling.net