RE: NANFA-- Bush and the ESA

Whitlock, Steve (Steve_Whitlock_at_jdedwards.com)
Tue, 17 Apr 2001 11:35:56 -0600

Chris, thanks for your post on this. I can appreciate your points, although
I don't agree with all of them.

As you may have picked up from my previous posts, I actually support GWB on
this issue and can see where his administration is coming from. I honestly
don't see this as a set back for conservation issues, just a redirecting of
the means which are used to influence government policy and enforcement.

In fact, I've been pleased with the environmental positions this
administration has taken. Unfortunately, all environmental issues must be
taken from a cost/benefit basis. In other words, how much is a particular
policy 'costing' consumers, tax-payers, homeowners, and manufacturers and
how much is being 'gained'. I know some people cringe at that idea, but
when pushed to the extreme example (ad absurdum) it works and must be used.
Let's take the pupfish for example. I love the pupfish. I want it to
survive very badly. All biases aside, let's say it would indisputably cost
taxpayers $2.3B, homeowners 520 homes, and farmers 18 farms.....in order to
save the species. Is it worth it? It might be. Double that. Is it worth
it? It might be. Double that is it worth it? Where do we say 'no'? There
is a point.

OK, I think this is where the current administration is coming from. I
understand that and I agree with that. Hard decisions are not easy by
definition.

Now, I appreciated your distinction between conservationists and
environmentalists in your post. If we found the average representative of
each group, they would answer the above questions very differently. I think
it's important to recognize the underlying values of each group.

Relating to your last sentence, each group would, "love nature and value
biodiversity", but for very different reasons and with very different ends
in mind.