Re: NANFA-- Gambusia affinis vs holbrooki

D. Martin Moore (archimed_at_netdoor.com)
Sat, 21 Apr 2001 00:03:10 -0500

On 20 Apr 2001, at 16:19, Hoover, Jan J ERDC-EL-MS wrote:

> To confuse matters furthur, Steven George and I have looked at mosquitofish
> from the Big Sunflower in Mississippi and find that THEY have serrated
> gonopodia!

Is that the river that's on the delta side of the Yazoo? I was there a
couple of weeks ago and it did NOT look inviting! Supposedly
Silver Creek is a good spot - hard to imagine with all the agriculture
about. All I got for my troubles were a couple of barked shins from
falling into beaver tunnels.

And who CARES what species of Gambusia it is? It's worthless
by definition :-) What prompted you to investigate so closely? I
suspect it's an intergrade, but I am interested in hearing your
ultimate conclusion.

Prost,

Martin
Jackson, MS