RE: NANFA--Terriers -- *off topic*

Whitlock, Steve (Steve_Whitlock_at_jdedwards.com)
Thu, 26 Apr 2001 11:44:40 -0600

While I believe all terriers do posses a hunting instinct........some are
much stronger than others. I've seen dogs that don't care about eating,
socializing, or human companionship, but just want to hunt. For other dogs
the hunt is lower on their priority list. I guess training at a young age,
which we never did, would/should boost the dog's aggressiveness and desire
to hunt.

SW

-----Original Message-----
From: LAK
Sent: Thursday, April 26, 2001 11:43 AM
To: nanfa_at_aquaria.net
Subject: RE: NANFA-- Keeping Largemouths in Aquarium...

If it is a domestic mouse their is little danger, but
I am wondering why you would train your pet dog to do
this. I have a 9 year old west highland white terrier,
and he will chase and kill mice on his own. It is a
strong instinct in most terriers- allowing the animal
to participate in "canned hunts" is beating a dead
horse IMHO.

Even animals trained for Earthdog competitions don't
actually kill the rats they chase after.

Lauren

=====
"The greatness of a country and its moral progress can be judged by the way
its animals are treated." -Gandhi
http://www.geocities.com/vtapsc13/Pets_Home.html

http://auctions.yahoo.com/