RE: NANFA-- FW: FISH AND WILDLIFE SERVICE AND NATIONAL MARINE

Nick Zarlinga (njz_at_clevelandmetroparks.com)
Tue, 1 Apr 2003 11:48:49 -0500

I thought the same way that this seems to push the brunt of the
responsiblity off the shoulders of FWS. I am very uneducated in the
political aspect of things but I am glad that someone else looked at it the
same.

Nick Zarlinga
Aquarium Biologist
Cleveland Metroparks Zoo
216.661.6500 ext 4485

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-nanfa_at_aquaria.net On Behalf
Of Todd Crail
Sent: Tuesday, April 01, 2003 10:20 AM
To: nanfa_at_aquaria.net
Subject: Re: NANFA-- FW: FISH AND WILDLIFE SERVICE AND NATIONAL MARINE
FISHERIES SERVICE ANNOUNCE POLICY FOR EVALUATION OF CONSERVATION EFFORTS
WHEN MAKING ESA LISTING DECISIONS

Perhaps I'm just paranoid... But this makes me kinda uneasy. It seems
there's a lot open for abuse with "You didn't try hard enough, practice
enough bureaucracy, or know enough about how to heal the population of this
organism, so we'll not list this species at this time". It again seems an
even *greater* burden is placed on the researchers and concerned groups to
get attention to an organism... To the point to even lock up the decision in
court for a bit and have *no* movement on a potentially threatening action
on the part of some other interested party (industry, agriculture,
development)... Which didn't even work out for the salmon swimming up the
Klamath this year, as one example.

Or...

Maybe I'm just Mr. Negative today and I need to do something other than read
DOI and DOC news releases about what they're doing for nature. :)

The mussel info seems good tho. That'll help to protect quite a bit of
diversity (It was neat to know a little about the Cahaba and Coosa rivers
when reading this :). Now to just get them to say that it's *more* than
just a mussel they're protecting there so the entire population understands
that it's not *just* about a "clam" :)

Todd