RE: NANFA-- Tank Building

Nick Zarlinga (njz_at_clevelandmetroparks.com)
Wed, 30 Apr 2003 08:03:31 -0400

Adam, this we recently discussed this thread a few months ago. Tank
building is all about bracing. As you indicated, less bracing means thicker
materials. A large tank that is made completely of acrylic or glass is
usually unnecessary unless you are using it for a room divider or something
similiar. Wooden tanks with glass or acrylic fronts are the easiest to
build, however in my opinion, can be unreliable after a period of time,
especially in a main furnished room in your house. How are you with using
fiberglass? I think one of the best ways to make a large reliable tank is
to use fiberglass over a wooden or steel skeleton. You can brace it how you
would like and still leave a frame to set the glass or acrylic. Using an
opaque background and sides also lends itself to less algae cleaning since
it is not as noticable. It is stinky, smelly, and flat out a pain in the
butt, but the end result is probably the best bang for the buck. Definitely
an outdoor project and you need to use a respirator. Yeah, it is as fun as
it sounds, however the only part that you would have to worry about leaking
is the seal around the glass/acrylic viewing panel. And that would be
neglegable. Don't forget the height of the tank is what determines the
thickness of the glass/acrylic, not the length or width. Good luck, we'd be
interested in your progress.

Nick Zarlinga
Aquarium Biologist
Cleveland Metroparks Zoo