RE: NANFA--list content restrictions?

Nick Zarlinga (njz_at_clevelandmetroparks.com)
Wed, 31 Mar 2004 11:19:41 -0500

As usual, you are looking at the glass half empty. I don't see it as being
exclusive of others, I look at it as providing a service to members-a perk
that you are learning and sharing information with other fish heads. What
incentives are there for paying the $20 membership fee? The AC is a fine
publication, however I can easily see a new comer questioning $20 for "just"
a publication (NO NEGATIVITY SUGGESTED!). Research grants are great,
however not for the average person and there are no monthly meetings with
speakers. If we can provide them something more; a chance to chit chat with
other knowledgeable fish heads about native fish, their husbandry, and
conservation, then maybe it can be more enticing for those on the fence. I
look at this list as a resource and a privelige. Visitors can still access
the archives to see what they are getting into; or they can maybe have a one
month trial session. We have a good thing here, I feel that it should be
used to our advantage. Afterall, we need to bring in more members and that
should be our underlining goal. I guess I would be interested to know why
those non-member listers have not joined yet?

However, with all that said, it has been explained to me that this would be
a logistical nightmare and a job that no one would want. So, with that, I
guess I will let it be.

Nick Zarlinga
Aquarium Biologist
Cleveland Metroparks Zoo