Re: NANFA-- Mekong Giant

anutej_at_loxinfo.co.th
Thu, 15 Apr 2004 00:05:43 +0700

The usual irredescent shark [Pangasius hypopthalmus - formerly P.
sutchi] is artificially bred in millions in Thailand for aquaculture
purpose. In Vietnam another species [P. bocourti] is similarly bred.
Both are big fish [more than 1 meter long] that should be kept only by
ones who have big tank/pond [this applies to the IUCN species P.
sanitwongsai, the 2 meter paroon shark too].

Pangasius bocourti
http://filaman.uni-kiel.de/Photos/PicturesSummary.cfm?StartRow=1&ID=14112&what=species

Pangasius hypopthalmus
http://filaman.uni-kiel.de/Photos/PicturesSummary.cfm?StartRow=2&ID=14154&what=species

Pangasius larnaudii [personally one of the most beautiful species of
the group with long finnage and bluish stocky body (in life) and tasty
flesh (but still big)]
http://filaman.uni-kiel.de/Photos/PicturesSummary.cfm?StartRow=1&ID=12000&what=species

Pangasius sanitwongsei
http://filaman.uni-kiel.de/Photos/PicturesSummary.cfm?StartRow=3&ID=6193&what=species