Re: NANFA-- Axlerod

Mysteryman (bestfish_at_alaweb.com)
Sun, 18 Apr 2004 02:52:49 -0700

Gastropodmania_at_aol.com wrote:

> Here's a question I've always wondered: is Herbert Axlerod still alive? He is considered by many to be the father of the aquarium
>hobby in America.

Yes, he's still alive, and doing well. Very well. He's a
multimillionaire, and when I say multi, I mean MULTI. For example, he
recently donated 50 million dollars' worth of instruments to a local
orchestra ( he's collected them for years ) just for the pleasure of
being able to hear them played. Other orchestras had offered him vast
fortunes for them, but he didn't need the money.
He has retired from TFH Publishing, and is now just living the life we
all dream of, in the lap of luxury, surrounded by fish. He has enjoyed
one heck of a life... a very fascinating individual.

As for his being the father of the hobby... well, I'd say he's closer to
the loud, irritating uncle.