RE: NANFA-- RE: Fingernail clams vs. Corbicula

Gay (ghemsath_at_att.net)
Fri, 23 Apr 2004 11:30:05 -0800

Hello
Why not take a Plaster of Paris mold/casting of them ?
Like the police do of footprints & tire tracks for identification purposes ?
Gay
Alaska

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-nanfa_at_aquaria.net On Behalf Of
Todd Crail
Sent: Friday, April 23, 2004 10:57 AM
To: nanfa_at_aquaria.net
Subject: Re: NANFA-- RE: Fingernail clams vs. Corbicula

Steve... Is there any difference in the arrangement of the teeth or even
just how the hinge join lines up? The teeth in these both looked the same,
one with a smooth periostracum, and then the downstream ones, with the
typical large ridges on what I'm sure were Corbicula.

What I need to do is quit farting around and just take the danged things
home (abandoned valves) without guilt and learn. I have 30 ways to
rationalize this... Maybe I just need to put them down on paper and get a
reference and get the stupid permit. <sigh>

BG thanks for the response. I'll be meeting up with JT next week at the
Tippecanoe trip, and hope to "download" a bunch of his mussel knowledge. I
think since I'll be making "fish" my profession here soon, I'll take up
mussels as my "hobby" :)

Todd

SHasloue_at_kdhe.state.ks.us wrote:
The periostracum on Corbicula is ridged (like elevated "growth rings") vs.
smooth on fingernail clams (family Sphaeriidae).