Re: NANFA-- biological bombs detonating everywhere

Robert Carillio (darterman_at_hotmail.com)
Fri, 04 Aug 2000 10:51:30 EDT

As to population..... Just as an aquarium of say, twenty gallons, has a
"carrying capacity" for "X" ammount of fish, a planet of certain size also
has a carrying capacity for so many living things. Some people who do not
recognize this simple rule of thumb, and continue to live in such a manner
that demands more from the Earth, throughout their lives have probably and
unknowingly have been taught that "resources are limitless" This is the
downside to "The American way", and a capitalist society in general. Just
look at how marketing in our country alone aims to have people consume more
and more. We are overwhelmed with subliminal messages that are counting on
the consumer consuming more. The sad thing is, is that most of this "stuff"
we really don't need. In a country who's social depression level is amoung
the highest in the world, perhaps we have somehow used consumption as a drug
to douse depression. Not to go into such deep philosophical thought, but if
people really do care about the natural world, then we can start with
ourselves, and teach our children to "live with less" ex.(big screen tv's, 3
cars, chinese plastic flashlights,etc.) It seems to me, that since we have
relied on the Earth's limited resources to achieve wealth and status, that
it only makes sense that we realize that all taking, is only going to lead
us to hurting ourselves. Until people get out of denial, and realize that
resources aren't limitless, we will never strike the balance many know is so
important. Food for thought.... I really get a kick out of this new "sprawl"
type superstore called Gander Mountain.... Here is a place that is promoting
spending time in the great outdoors... fish, camp, hunt, hike, etc., ....
and this place clears 20 acres of woods that I used to enjoy all of those
activities on!!!.... Also, they ruined a stream where I used to see small
fantail darters.... That's all, I just though I would throw in a comment
for discussion..... Rob