Re: NANFA-- about seining

Sajjad Lateef (sajjad_at_acm.org)
Sun, 20 Aug 2000 09:16:53 -0500 (CDT)

o Keep the siene brails (the rods on the ends) not stretched out so there
is a "bag" formed by the net. Fish will get collected in the bag. With a
stretched out net, the fish just bounce out. Plus with a bag, you can be
sure that the fish stay in when you lift the net up.

o You need at least three people to collecte efficiently in open streams.
Two to hold the net and third (and rest) to kick fish in.

o Keep the bottom of the net down (step on it if you need to). Add extra
weights on the bottom and extra floats on the top, if needed

o Kick sideways and move rocks over to scare fish out of their hiding
spots.

o If all else fails, give up on this location, chill out, have a beer or
pop and try a new location.