Re: NANFA-- fish collecting

Bruce Stallsmith (fundulus_at_hotmail.com)
Tue, 13 Aug 2002 12:41:59 -0400

<x-flowed>
This might not matter much to the fish, but are you sure this is a fungus
and not a bacterial infection? A lot of aggressive baterial infections look
fuzzy like most people would expect of a fungus.

--Bruce "Prokaryote" Stallsmith
Huntsville, AL, US of A

>From: "Charles Nunziata" <epiplaty_at_tampabay.rr.com>
>To: <nanfa_at_aquaria.net>
>Subject: Re: NANFA-- fish collecting
>Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 19:59:45 -0400
>
>Hi Moon:
>
>I've seen this condition several times with newly collected Florida native
>fishes, but in my experience, the fungus shows up 24 to 72 hours after
>capture. I assume the stress of capture reduced the resistance to the
>fungus
>and allowed it to take hold. I've treated with Tetracycline with fairly
>good
>results. Most fish recover in a week or so, but often with permanent damage
>to the areas infected by the fungus. I now treat all the captured fish with
>this drug in the isolation tank for 24 hours, and that seems to prevent or
>minimize the severity of the attack. By the way, I've also found this
>fungus
>to be contagious to both native and non-native fishes as well, sometimes
>with devasting results. This is a very tough and dangerous type of fungus,
>and if allowed to go untreated, is virtually 100% fatal to the catch.
>
>Charlie Nunziata
</x-flowed>