RE: NANFA-- turf scrubbers

Nicholas J. Zarlinga (njz_at_clevelandmetroparks.com)
Wed, 14 Aug 2002 10:04:34 -0400

Below is a response to my inquirery from Mike Brittsan, Curator of fishes
at the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium. He has extensive experience working with
algal scrubber systems.

Hello Nick, Most people that try "do-it-yourself" often fail and walk away
saying the scrubber does not work, however I am trusting you to relay that
information. It really takes someone with a basic understanding of
phycology,
light and dark phases, and nutrient analysis.

Two good articles which demonstrate the algal scrubber are;

Adey, Luckett, and Smith. 1996. Purification of industrially contaminated
groundwaters using controlled ecosystems. Ecological Engineering volume 7
191-212.

Adey, Luckett, and Jensen. March 1993. Phosphorus removal from Natural
Waters
using controlled algal production. Journal of Restoration Ecology Volume 1
number 1 29-39.

My experience has been; give an aquarist references like the one above and
they don't bohter to get the reprint, its too much work. As you know it is
very simple technology if you understand the basics. They work well for
me,
however I understand their limitations, and appropriate lighting.

Sorry about the lecture, but I have been dissapointed in conclusions that
people draw from building and running a system half-ass. They can call me
if
they get the literature and are earnst about trying a system.

Mike

Nick Zarlinga
Aquarium Biologist
Cleveland Metroparks Zoo
216-661-6500 ex 4485

"Fish worship... is it wrong??" (Ray Troll)

------