NANFA-- RE: nanfa V1 #1374

Bob Sinclair (rjs_at_silcom.com)
Sat, 17 Aug 2002 11:03:39 -0700

Gentlemen:

I've been traveling the past few weeks and am wading through
a huge number of e-mail message, including this rather long
string about Caviar.

"Definitely not worth it"?

"like salty, fishy, jello"?

As have oft been written, to be an effective counter force,
the words "know thine enemy" certainly apply.

I suggest you take a look at:

http://www.homedelivery.com/tempest_ect?op=9&storeid=26677646&aisles=0&global=1&affil
iate_id=1 and

http://www.caviarchef.com/default.tpl. and

http://move.to/caviar

I should think that prices like $46/oz., $710/lb., and $1,557/kg. would
convince anyone that there is something special about fine caviar that
is firing the current controversy and fear of extinction of some sturgeon
species.

This is not the sort of low grade salty black stuff one finds in the local
supermarkets and delis!

I first encountered fine Russian caviar (or maybe it was Iranian), back
in the late '50s, when I was invited to accompany a wealthy young
Washington DC area car dealer and his wife to a Broadway show.
I met them at their suite in the Plaza Hotel (I said he was wealthy).

There was a small bar in the suite, with various hors d'oeuvres
elegantly laid out on a side table - including a large tin of caviar sitting
in a hollow carved in a block of ice. It was my first exposure to fine
caviar, but certainly not my last. I'm not sure it was Beluga, though.
Perhaps it was Oscietra, Sevruga, Imperial, Royal Black, although
since it was dark gray to black in color, I'm sure it wasn't the extremely
rare Almas.

In checking caviar on the Internet, I came across http://www.caviaremptor.org/,
"Caviar Emptor: A Campaign to Protect and Restore Critically Endangered Beluga
Sturgeon and Other Threatened Caspian Sea Sturgeon" I don't know anything
at all about this organization, but it might be worth a read for those who have a
special interest in the conservation of these marvelous ancient species.

Bob Sinclair
Santa Barbara CA

PS: Over the years I've had a chance to taste fine caviar relatively few
times, and most those occasions when in Europe. But until recent years
when the threat to the various sturgeon species became evident, this was
mainly due to the costs.

Contact Us: info_at_caviaremptor.org