NANFA-- RE: nanfa V1 #1377 - Caviar vs. Cocaine???

Bob Sinclair (rjs_at_silcom.com)
Sun, 18 Aug 2002 22:10:54 -0700

Moon:

At the risk of being criticized for keeping this string going, I think it's
unfortunate
and pointless that you're drawing a comparison between an extremely expensive
FOOD, and an extremely expensive and extremely dangerous addictive chemical
substance.

While a love for fine caviar definitely can do damage to one's bank account, I've
never heard of anyone becoming addicted to caviar, let alone dying from consuming
it.

I am troubled by the threat to the Caspian sturgeon species (reportedly the result
of illegal fishing, by the way, since - again reportedly - fishing for sturgeon and
production of caviar is tightly licensed and controlled by the Russian and Iranian
governments). I feel that if I am to make an impression on this or anything else,
I should first try to learn a bit about the subject.

I was simply attempting to point out that there must be something special about
Russian and Iranian caviar, if people pay that kind of money for it; and that the
resulting worldwide demand for it is what is causing the threats to the various
sturgeon species. I enjoy pan fried shad roe on the rare occasions when I happen
to be in the northeast during shad roe season - but it never occurred to me that
these fish eggs have anything whatever to do with fine caviar from sturgeon
caught in the Caspian Sea.

And by the way, I used $40/oz. just as an example.

If you punch up Seattle Caviar Company at http://www.caviar.com/cgi-local/shop.pl
you'll see that they list various caviars as follows:

Iranian Beluga $96/oz.
Russian Beluga $85/oz.
Iranian Osetra $68/oz.
Russian Osetra $60/oz.,