Re: NANFA-- Re: Books on the evolution and distribution of NA

Patrick Ceas (ceas_at_stolaf.edu)
Tue, 19 Aug 2003 10:28:07 -0500

<x-flowed>
unclescott wrote:

>Thank you Chris for the reference and the discussion on the role of
>continental drift and speciation. I will look for Hocutt and Wiley's
>ZOOGEOGRAPHY OF NORTH AMERICAN FRESHWATER FISHES.
>
>Now, how about the role of glaciation and the development of North American
>fishes? ..... A glance at a number of darter distribution maps suggests that they may have accompanied the melting lines north.

The ZOOGEOGRAPHY book is terrific. Speciation/glacial
effects/post-glacial recolonization routes is a fascinating set of
topics and one that is being actively studied by many individuals.
Unfortunately there can be no "final" explanations until we have very
detailed phylogeographies of all the various aquatic species, species
complexes, subgenera, genera, etc. This is a work in progress occurring
at many universities; however, without a never-before-seen major
increase in funding, it will take many years before we have all the
answers...

Pat
</x-flowed>