Re: NANFA-- longnose sucker ref

Christopher Scharpf (ichthos_at_comcast.net)
Sun, 24 Aug 2003 15:45:02 -0400

NatureServe was the first placed I checked (after all the normal text
references). It says that it is "most widespread sucker in northern North
America," but not necessarily the most widespread freshwater fish species in
the entire continent.

> What do you mean by "widest"? The distance from one end of its
> distribution to the other end?

Yes, the species that has dispersed over the widest piece of real estate on
the continent.

I think it's the longnose sucker, although the northern pike comes close.
(The white sucker and longnose dace are also up there.)

Chris