Re: NANFA-- NC Fish and Fungi - Day 5

Mark Otnes (markotnes_at_email.msn.com)
Sat, 30 Aug 2003 16:19:38 -0500

Casper.

It sounds like you had a great trip. I would really like to try the
mushroom collecting sometime, though only with someone who knows what he's
doing.

It sounds like you liked the Little Pigeon River. I hit the West Fork of
the Little Pigeon last June and had a great time their too. Did you catch
any of the Swannanoa Darters? They were so wary, I eventually gave up
trying.

The warm water season is about over up here now. We've been down the in mid
40's the last few nights and only getting up the upper 60s to low 70s for
highs. It is supposed to get up to 80 on Monday, so I may try a final
snorkeling foray without a wetsuit. The prairies west of Fargo are starting
to look like fall now, with the grasses changing color and the fall flowers
coming out. The grasslands are very quiet and all of the bird activity is
around the wetlands which are full of ducks, shorebirds, herons, and egrets.
I saw a couple of Snow Geese too, but I hope they were just aberrant
individuals who spent the summer - its way to early for them to be migrating
now, even for North Dakota. The warblers are moving through the woodlands,
the swallows are grouped up and declining in numbers. I expect I'll see my
last Purple Martin of the year any day now.

So, its good bye to summer. Time to put on wetsuits again or wear waders,
but that's just not quite a fun. Oh well.

Mark Otnes
Fargo ND