Re: NANFA-- Breeding natives

Norman Edelen (normane_at_edelendoors.com)
Mon, 30 Aug 1999 21:49:30 -0700

Hello All, Dave,

I just returned from my basement fishroom where I set up a new brineshrimp
hatchery tonight using a three liter bottle. I set it up right next to the
tank with my Florida flag fish in it. I happened to glance over at the tank
and saw something small and slightly silverish moving along the glass. Upon
closer examination I discovered that it was a small colorless fry. Casting
my eyes further into the tank I discovered several more fry. Obviously I
have successfully bred Florida flags!

Thank you Dave for the opportunity and the advice. This is the kind of
feeling (the joy and satisfaction I am experiencing now) that makes me proud
to be associated with the wonderful folks in NANFA.

So, how big are newly hatched Florida flag fry? I am wondering if I just
didn't notice them right away. They seem a bit large, but I have no
experience with this fish. Perhaps they hid for a couple of days in the
spawning mops or the 'guppy plants.'

Norm

A proud member of
The Greater Portland Aquarium Society
www.gpas.org
The North American Native Fishes Association: over
20 years of conservation efforts, public education, and
aquarium study of our native fishes. Check it out at
www.nanfa.org