Cyanobacteria Re: NANFA-- algal comments

Dave Littlehale (
Tue, 26 Dec 2000 14:45:37 -0500

> I've also had success removing cyanobacteria (in a marine
> tank with macroalgae) by turning off the lights for several
> days. Not recommended for planted tanks.

Just a side note on this.

In freshwater planted aquaria, you can turn off your lights for a planted
tank for a few days. In my experiences, it hasn't done any harm to the
higher plants, but the algae was strongly affected. I've gotten away with
leaving the lights off for 3 days. I chickened out and didn't go any
longer, but when I turned the lights on the algae had died back; I completed
a major water change of about 75% and the plants took over from there. I
purchased some Otto's and Flying Foxes and haven't seen a sign of algae
except for some green spots on the glass, since.

Dave Littlehale - knocking on wood

/"Unless stated otherwise, comments made on this list do not necessarily
/ reflect the beliefs or goals of the North American Native Fishes
/ Association"
/ This is the discussion list of the North American Native Fishes Association
/ To subscribe, unsubscribe, or get help, send the word
/ subscribe, unsubscribe, or help in the body (not subject) of an email to
/ For a digest version, send the command to
/ instead.
/ For more information about NANFA, visit our web page,