Re: NANFA-- Fish-Watching - LONG

Jane Knaub (hjknaub_at_netrax.net)
Wed, 27 Dec 2000 21:01:50 -0500

I'm gonna try this again, when I tried before somehow I crashed our email.
Some years ago, I helped collect and identify invertabrates as a volunteer for
Maryland Save Our Streams. This data was used to determine water quality of
Maryland streams.We started with maps that showed the specific riffles where we
were to collect our specimens. We were trained to use certain protocols in
collecting and we recorded data on the collecting site and the stream in general.
All of this information was used to monitor the health of the stream over time.
I think it's important to collect our data in a consistant manner to lend
legitimacy to any numbers that we compile.

I think that this could be a good way to draw more people,particularly educators,
into Nanfa.

As for a date, I think mid May or mid June. In some parts of the country high
water could be a problem if it was any earlier. If we did a trial run in May or
June, we could work on fine tuning at the Convention in Ohio.

Steven "Harry" Knaub
York, PA