Re: NANFA-- Shipping in Winter (water hyacinths)

archimed_at_netdoor.com
Fri, 29 Dec 2000 19:46:14 -0600

On 29 Dec 2000, at 19:23, William Allen jr. wrote:

> I don't think your hyacinths are going to last very long at 50 F. Also, IME,
> they're hard to keep alive in a tank, even tho they'll take over a pond in
> nothin' flat. I'm not sure if it's lack of light or condensation from being
> in a closed tank - never tried them in an open, emersed-vegetation-type
> tank.

I have (had) some in my open-top, outdoor tanks. They gradually
withered away, although the weather was admittedly cooling when I
collected them.

Whenever I see an old lady slip and fall on a wet sidewalk,
my first instinct is to laugh. But then I think, what if
I was an ant, and she fell on me. Then it wouldn't seem
quite so funny.