Re: NANFA-- strange fish question

Norman Edelen (normane_at_edelendoors.com)
Tue, 12 Dec 2000 17:16:00 -0800

Hello All,

While touring the OSU preserved fish collection with NANFA member Dan Logan,
he opened up a bucket and stated something to the effect that we were
looking at one of the few preserved specimens of the warty sea hag with an
attached parasitic male. It was of course a deep sea angler, and it did
indeed have a wee little male attached as an appendage. It was quite an
interesting specimen.

Washington State University was offering a reward for specimens of this
species with or minus the male. Occasionally they wash ashore in the
Pacific Northwest. They had wanted posters at coastal tackle shops all up
and down Oregon and Washington's coast.

Norm

A proud member of
The Greater Portland Aquarium Society
www.gpas.org
The North American Native Fishes Association: over
20 years of conservation efforts, public education, and
aquarium study of our native fishes. Check it out at
www.nanfa.org