RE: NANFA-- Used microscopes

Bruce Stallsmith (fundulus_at_hotmail.com)
Mon, 04 Dec 2000 19:32:03 -0500

A lot of public universities can't give away old scopes, because they're
considered to be public property subject to surplus property laws. For
instance, Salem State College in MA has an entire storeroom full of old,
sometimes usable microscopes that they are strictly forbidden to give away.
It's easier to devote storage space to these scopes than to spend the time
and energy arranging to give them away legally. This situation is even true
in Alabama, where in general the only law strictly enforced is no Sunday
liquor sales. Hopefully other states are laxer about this.

--Bruce Stallsmith
Huntsville, AL