Re: NANFA-- School teacher needs help

Bruce Stallsmith (fundulus_at_hotmail.com)
Sun, 01 Dec 2002 17:50:41 -0500

<x-flowed>
Rainbow Shiners are the species _Notropis chrosomus_, whose native range is
(basically) the Alabama River drainage, north GA to Washington County, AL.
It's very different from Red Shiners. Pet stores are bizarrely prone to
giving fish really stupid names which I'm sure we've all seen. Rainbow
Shiners are good aquarium fish, but I don't think any pet stores have ever
handled them.

--Bruce Stallsmith
Huntsville, AL, US of A

>From: m c <midgatutordigests_at_yahoo.com>
>To: nanfa_at_aquaria.net
>Subject: Re: NANFA-- School teacher needs help
>Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2002 13:28:28 -0800 (PST)
>
>And I was just wondering if "Rainbow" was yet another
>synomyn for "Red Shiner", sold at petstores as
>"Rainbow Dace".
>
>I got a laugh when I realized they had bait minnows
>priced at 6.50 a fish.
</x-flowed>