RE: NANFA-- Plants, substrate, and Canidate sand darter.

Crail, Todd (tcrail_at_northshores.com)
Sat, 7 Dec 2002 15:13:11 -0500

A quick scan of the Peterson field guide offers some local canidates for the people of your court, your Honor. And I'd like to point out at this point in proceedings that staying local as possible will, in this servant of the court's opinion and experience serve the consituents in a far more appealing manner. It appears the constiuents are of low SES and "The Maumee River, Ohio" might as well be as far off as "The Rio Negro, Brazil", so nothing has been achieved in local enlightenment, which may be the most powerful element of your lesson, as nothing is tied to opinion or belief. It's just right there in the backyard (experience)... And it's just plain cool. :)

With that said, your Honor... (and thank you Steven for compiling your list so I didn't have to hunt all over the internet :) http://www.nanfa.org/NANFAregions/ga/ga_fw_fishes.htm

I've omit any that are on the GA state lists.

Swamp Darter- (Etheostoma fusiforme)
Christmas Darter - (Etheostoma hopkinsi) *Definately* have to check this one out.
Tessellated Darter (Etheostoma olmstedi)
Sawcheek Darter - (Etheostoma serrifer)
Blackbanded Darter (Percina nigrofasciata) May appear to have drab color for darters, but I will note that the Blackside Darter (P. maculata) is a personal favorite and has similar color and paterns.

I will allow for the local experts to provide character witness, if it so pleases the Court.
-----Original Message-----
From: Crail, Todd
Sent: Sat 12/7/2002 2:12 PM
To: nanfa_at_aquaria.net
Subject: RE: NANFA-- Plants, substrate, and Canidate sand darter.

I think it would be wise to look elsewhere for a less troubled canidate, your Honor. The canidate in question has been hammered on by habitat loss and degredation in nearly all it's range, is found on most State's Lists, and for the most part, you'd need to approach a real governing body to get the appropriate permits to have one in your possession, dead or alive.

If you can keep the fish at 75 degrees or less.... Have we discussed the potential canidates Rainbow (E. caeruleum) or Orangethroat (E.spectabile) darters? They're a more northern species, and do require more oxygenated and cooler water. If this can be achieved, I know of no other piscean combination of these oranges and blues (quite literally the Syracuse U. school colors) and the canidates have dealt with humanity's activity much more gracefully. If these temperatures are not an option, Sir, perhaps some of our Southern contingency could suggest Southern pool or swamp dwelling cousins?

When it warms up, I'll have piles of anacharis available for your court and constituents. However, in these temps, it will be a waste of shipping money.

[demime 0.99d.1 removed an attachment of type application/ms-tnef which had a name of winmail.dat]