Re: NANFA-- Substrate query

Terri Vance (kterriv_at_msn.com)
Tue, 10 Dec 2002 06:20:15 -0500

----Original Message Follows----

From: m c Subject: NANFA-- Plants, substrate, and Canidate sand darter.
Date: Sat, 7 Dec 2002 09:47:50 -0800 (PST) Hi guys I just moved the 20
gal ...I am thinking of doing some combination fo playsand and gravel,
maybe with 1/3 to 1/2 of the bottom nothing but sand... I would be
careful about using too thick of a sand layer, either below the the
gravel or alone. All too easily, sand can become compacted to the point
where it becomes anaerobic. If decaying organic matter happens to get
trapped beneath such an anaerobic layer, it will eventually break down
into toxic gases that, when released, will poison the fish. Better to go
w/ gravel alone (though a bit pricey, Onyx & Florite work quite well) or
a gravel/laterite mix covered w/ a gravel layer. If you wish to watch
the antics of sand-diving aquatic critters, you'd be better off putting
sand in a 4-5" tall tupperware-type container, then placing the
container on the bottom of the tank in an area where you'll have easy
access to it. This way, it can be removed regularly & stirred or
replaced so as to avoid compaction. If you want it to have a more
natural appearance, you can glue pebbles to it using fish tank silicone,
as well as hide some of the edges w/ plants (though not a native, Java
Moss attached to gravel/wood very well) & pieces of waterlogged wood. Best
of luck in your endeavor...or perhaps I should say NANFA's endeavor ;-) Terri