Re: NANFA-- RE: digital cameras (here's one for you Jay)

BILL HOPPE (zzzzzzbill_at_yahoo.com)
Sat, 21 Dec 2002 13:44:50 -0800 (PST)

An important thing to consider with digital is what MP
or Mega Pixel is it . Even fine lenses will not
produce well without plenty of MPs to back them up
.The MPs are built in .You might think of it as using
great lenses with cheep outdated film .A one or one
plus MP camera should be OK for viewing on an average
computer monitor or printing a snapshot .Having great
lenses on a 1 MP would boarder on being silly .No , it
would be silly . The true test of a digital is in
making larger prints . A 2 MP will give you a good
8x10 print . A 3 MP should give you a very good 8x10
print . More MPs = bigger prints and bigger cost .
Very high MPs have the problem of eating up storage
space and download times .If all you want is a
family-or fish- snapshot album a 2 MP would be fine
and a 1+ Mp would do the job .A built in flash which
cordinates well with the macro system is very helpful
in that the flash automatically steps down in power
for macro work . The improvement of image with macro
flash is big . A word of caution on MPs and digitals .
2 or 3 months ago on a tech site there was a report
that a well known inventor had developed and was
perfecting a new MP system to be marketed in about 2
years .This system would produce far more MPs at a
lower price . An old pro photographer once told me he
had probably taken close to a half million photos in
his life but "I only brag on a hundred or so" .With a
digital camera you swivel your chair to face the tank
, take 50 pictures , swivel your chair back to your
computer ,look at your photos , delete the 40 bad ones
,save the 10 good ones , swivel your chair back to the
tank and give it another go . Then with your computer
darkroom you take those 10 best shots and make them
better yet .It doesn't take long to have a decent
album of fish pics . Its still hard to trash those so
so pics . Another feature that I think is on most
digital cameras now is to program a side show on your
camera or storage card . Take the card and camera
anywhere there is a TV , run a cord from the camera to
the TV and shazam you have a rolling slide show on the
TV .When you get good with the cheepo camera think
about that $5000 model . Nap time now .

http://www.powershot.com/powershot2/a40-30/sample.html
> -
> /"Unless stated otherwise, comments made on this
> list do not necessarily
> / reflect the beliefs or goals of the North American
> Native Fishes
> / Association"
> / This is the discussion list of the North American
> Native Fishes Association
> / nanfa_at_aquaria.net. To subscribe, unsubscribe, or
> get help, send the word
> / subscribe, unsubscribe, or help in the body (not
> subject) of an email to
> / nanfa-request_at_aquaria.net. For a digest version,
> send the command to
> / For more information about NANFA, visit our web
> page, http://www.nanfa.org

=====
Bill Hoppe
Yellville Arkansas