RE: NANFA-- mmmmm...

Crail, Todd (tcrail_at_northshores.com)
Mon, 30 Dec 2002 15:55:03 -0500

("Whee... another 10' dune no body cares if it gets plowed over and
developed").

I wanna see some REAL dunes! And mountains of lupine... oh take me there! :)

-----Original Message-----
From: unclescott
Sent: Monday, December 30, 2002 2:46 PM
To: nanfa_at_aquaria.net
Subject: Re: NANFA-- mmmmm...

> Well Ray... What do you think? The Wisconsin Marsh water table about the
same? All we'd need is a backhoe and some cattle troughs :)

Speaking of former marshes...list thoughts on what happened to too much of
Ohio a while back made me ponder the fate of NE Illinois.

Read a book review (Chicago Tribune) of a new work on this area some time
back. The very favorable review noted that the region stretching from the
Kankakee River to former sand dunes of what is now Chicago and into
Indiana's Calumet region was a huge marshland, now drained, farmed,
urbanized, suburbanized and sometimes obscenely channelized. The review
contended this was the largest march in the country at one time - improbable
as that sounds. Indeed a word for wetland in the Algonquin languages is
Kankakee...

I can't remember the name of the book to recommend it. And it was going to
be on my wanted list.

Google searches give lots of works on Illinois by somebody named Carol Marsh
along with 640,000 other hits.

Would anybody, off hand, know what that work is?

Thanks,

Scott