RE: NANFA-- mmmmm...

Crail, Todd (tcrail_at_northshores.com)
Tue, 31 Dec 2002 10:17:04 -0500

Yes, but in this particular daydream we'd leave the people in Florida to their exotics and work with the climate to farm some native fish. That way, if it did flood, we'd just counter carp populations and the worst case scenario is.... We'd have to go collect new broodstock (oh darn! :)

We would, of course, provide a flood proof, hi tech facility for Moon and his lil' sturgeons. I think we could make provisions for those exotics :)
-----Original Message-----
From: R. W. Wolff
Sent: Tue 12/31/2002 1:25 AM
To: nanfa_at_aquaria.net
Subject: Re: NANFA-- mmmmm...

> Well Ray... What do you think? The Wisconsin Marsh water table about the
> same? All we'd need is a backhoe and some cattle troughs :)

Yeah it would work, but during floods ( which used to come more often than
not) all the fish would be swept away and we would be in a whole lot of
trouble with somebody for introducing all those exotic fish =). The
cranberry beds work much on the same level. Water is pumped manually, and
depending on the water table in or out. Cranberries cannot grow submerged,
that is only done for harvest and freeze protection/ adding sand to sour the
soil.

I built greenhouses like that this year. They have been working pretty good.
Although the big one I built late and it got ripped apart by some strange
pressure changes caused by wind on the weekend before Christmas. If I would
have had more time like I did on the smaller ones I would have had less
trouble with them Honestly I could not keep tropicals alive all year , green
house or no, but it keeps ice from forming if done correctly. I will have to
try that black netting method if I can find out more about it.

[demime 0.99d.1 removed an attachment of type application/ms-tnef which had a name of winmail.dat]