Re: NANFA-- fish families question

Christopher Scharpf (ichthos_at_charm.net)
Wed, 08 Dec 1999 14:34:01 -0400

Jay,

Moronidae has 4 species endemic to NA (2 confined to fresh water), and 2 species
in Europe and North Africa. There may be 2 more species in Asia, but their
relationships within moronids are unknown.

Moronids were split from the Percichthyidae back in 1984 based on a lack of
common ancestry.

----------
From: "Jay DeLong" <thirdwind_at_att.net>
To: <nanfa_at_aquaria.net>
Subject: RE: NANFA-- fish families question
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 11:24:35 -0800

> << What's now included in Moronidae? >>
> white bass, white perch,yellow bass, and striped bass? Unless by
> "now" you
> mean some some new unforeseeable inclusion that came as a result of
> reanalysis of fish families or genuses and their relationship to
> each other such as snooks or sea basses.

I'm really sorry for such a confusing question. I recall these species
being in Percichthyidae, so a few years ago when I heard about them now
included in Moronidae I looked into what that family was. The Peterson
Guide says there are moronids in Europe and N Africa. I wonder if anyone
knows if it's still the prevailing thought that these NA species and other
non-NA species are related. This goes along with my question on unique NA
fishes. Thanks.