Re: NANFA-- bloodworm survey

Frauley/Elson (fraulels_at_minet.ca)
Tue, 14 Dec 1999 07:19:26 -0500

Mark B wrote:

> I think I have developed sensitivity to blood worms too. This is in
> addition to my sensitivity to brine shrimp and Euphasia "plankton". It's a
> real pain. I'm not certain of my bloodworm sensitivity, because I am very
> careful now about inhaling or having any mucous membrane or eye contact
> with these foods. I frequently get profuse nasal drip and sneezing fits
> while feeding the fish. Trust me, you don't want to witness this. :)

I tried to send something on this thread the other day, but someone
introduced a hacker into my server. Jeremy! Was that you?
This is anecdotal, but I was told the allergen in bloodworms is similar
to that in dust mites, and if you are allergic to one, you'll suffer
from the other. If I use freeze-dried bloodworms, I get asthma, in
moments (having learned that, I stopped).
If I touch frozen, my hands swell up. I still use them, but I have a
system by which I never touch them.
Will this get me into the Knights of the spiked and fish-battered?
I'm tired of dangling my hands in the sunfish tank waiting to get
chomped.
-Gary