Re: NANFA-- Alligator Snapping Turtle

Katrina kruse (underseavisions_at_attglobal.net)
Tue, 15 Feb 2000 11:08:58 -0800

I just took at class about amphibians and reptiles in the state of Washington. A
horrifying fact I learned is that the Western Pond Turtle used to be Washington's
only native turtle, and its numbers are reduced to 12 (yes twelve) in the Puget
Sound area, and a total of just over 200 in the Washington and Oregon areas
(primarily near the Columbia River). Bull frogs eat young turtles, but the primary
reason is loss of habitat -- Washington's policy of yes, private people can own
all shoreline in the state - lakes, ponds, salt water all of it. Amazing. katrina