Re: NANFA-- Sculpin article online

Al G Eaton (sege7_2000_at_yahoo.com)
Wed, 13 Feb 2002 07:14:12 -0800 (PST)

I hope you know that was mostly in jest about who is
going.... I have some localities where we can collect,
but I wouldn't want to take 30 people to some of the
sites. It really depends on what you want and how far
you are willing to drive into the ozarks. Missouri
really is a wonderful state to collect in, as streams
are public access. I am guessing Charles and Nevin
will be taking you to some of their locations which
are much closer to St Louis. One stream, where
Friedrich, Dr Thomerson, Gary Lange, and Charles and
the rest of the st louis killi group collected, in the
late 80s, has two different species of sculpins,
bleeding shiners, missouri saddled darters as well as
the ubiquitous catenatus and olivaceous. I had
forgotten how to find it, but Gary did his homework
and located the stream a few weeks before I went to St
Louis. I was there with the MASI group last July
where I spoke on natives at their meeting and had a
great time. A large contingent went on that trip and
everyone took some nice fish home. I believe Gary
wrote a nice detailed article on the Saturday club
collecting trip and the Friday all day trip where I
showed him some of the collecting sites I have been
that are much deeper in the Ozarks. Gary and I played
around in a spring fed stream, part of the current
river drainage, only to find we had been attacked by
leeches. Our ankles were very red and had numerous
fat leeches happily sucking away. We just pulled them
off and the wounds continued to bleed copiously for a
while, since leeches have an anti-coagulent in their
saliva and it takes awhile for it to wash away and the
blood then clots. That was the first time I have ever
pulled bloodsucking leeches off my legs in the states.
I really didnt mind...I hate ticks a lot more. I
also pulled several ticks off me that day lol! Let me
know if you want to take an extra trip collecting
during the show. I know one spot that has three
different species of Fundulus.

Klaus