RE: NANFA-- RE: Weather

Denkhaus, Robert (Robert.Denkhaus_at_fortworthgov.org)
Mon, 17 Feb 2003 11:01:24 -0600

I thought of this story when the Russia connection was first mentioned...

As the token Yankee on a staff of native Texans, I am the only one that can
truly appreciate winter weather. A few years ago, duing a north Texas cold
snap (mid 30s...burrr), I was walking along a trail that skirts the edge of a
prairie dog town. I encountered a family of visitors and, trying to be Texan,
said something along the lines of, "pretty cold out today". The father of the
group turned and said in heavily accented English, "You think so?". I asked
where he was from and he said, "Siberia".

We then proceeded to compare really cold weather stories and make fun of the
locals and the lack of cold tolerance. It was fun.

BTW, I am tri-lingual...I know that Wooster, OH is pronounced "Wuster", that
Palestine, TX is pronounced "Palesteen", and Mexia, TX is pronounced "Muh Hay
a". Shouldn't that get me some extra pay?

Rob Denkhaus
Fort Worth Nature Center & Refuge