Re: NANFA-- "Zebra Perch" What is it?

Jay DeLong (thirdwind_at_att.net)
Wed, 19 Feb 2003 10:49:46 -0800

<x-flowed>
At 05:26 PM 2/18/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>Brian Zimmerman, a student at Heidelberg College in Ohio, has found some
>specimens of a strangely colored perch. Looks like a yellow perch with
>too many stripes on it. He is pursuing a research project to try to find
>out more about this fish. If you have seen or heard of such a beast
>before, please let us know. Send email to
>jonah_at_jonahsaquarium.com Follow this link to see photos of the unusual
>creature: http://www.jonahsaquarium.com/picpflavescenszeb.htm

How many did he find, did he find them in several locations, and did he
find normal looking yellow perch along with them?

Have you considered this is a mutation? A few years back I was working at
a salmon hatchery that was doing unique breeding methods. They crossed one
male with one female and kept the progeny separated until release. This
was for a purpose that isn't necessary to go into here. But what was neat
was that you could observe the progeny from a particular cross. One
pairing of normal looking coho salmon adults produced young that were
purple and spotted, rather than silver/gold/brown with vertical parr
marks. Had you seen the young you might have wondered what sort of hybrid
creation they were. I had some formalin and preserved some of them because
they were so strikingly different from normal salmon.

--
Jay DeLong
Olympia, WA