Re: NANFA-- Flagfin-Bluehead hy....What!?

Mysteryman (bestfish_at_alaweb.com)
Mon, 23 Feb 2004 12:20:27 -0800

Shinerscoop_at_aol.com wrote:

> There is also a life-study by Burr, etal. in Copeia<sp? describing the
> nest-associate behavior of Pteronotropis hubbsi. The study indicated that the
> Bluehead shiner are shown to have deposited their eggs in the nests of L. gulosus
> (warmouth sunfish). If I had that issue handy, I could include the pertinant
> imformation for this.
>
> I'll look around for it, it's here somewhere in my EXTREMELY organized
> fishroom, heh heh heh!
>
> BG

In Dr. Bob Goldstien's AMERICAN AQUARIUM FISHES, he also references Burr
in the Blueheads writeup. Indeed, Warmouth nests are the hubbsi's
favorite, quite possibly due to the unusual nature of Warmouth nests,
being stuffed deep into the root balls of cypress trees. He describes a
method for harvesting the eggs from any such nests found by rubbing the
roots.

At any rate, he then describes in detail the method for spawning
Blueheads in an aquarium WITHOUT roots or Warmouths. Yep, Blueheads will
freely spawn without another fish nest handy to parasitize, and it
sounds pretty simple in the description. It makes me wonder if the
Bluenose can also be spawned with some similar method.
The method? Well, aside from the pure dumb luck that Paul had, ( just
kidding ) this is the method:

Tank setup-- a 29 works. Plant heavily around the edges and leave the
middle bare. Use large grade gravel. Slight water current. Leave males
and females together for 8 weeks, feeding live foods. At 8 week mark,
lower temperature to 65 degrees, but not suddenly. Remove the females to
a second tank at 65 degrees. 65 is what makes females ripen. Feed the
females even better with lots of top shelf foods and more of them. After
yet another 8 weeks of this conditioning, put the females back with the
males. Reduce water current to very slight.
Males should go nuts at this time, and spawning usually begins within
hours. Spawning lasts for several hours, with eggs scattered among the
plants along the edges, mostly.
Eggs hatch in 3 to four days at 65 degrees, two or theee at 75. (hmm...
I wonder if the spawning tank should be about 67 instead of 65 in order
help trigger spawning. Book doesn't say, but it does say eggs hatch
faster at 75. How would they know that without the spawning tank being
warmer? )
The fry require greenwater and other infusoria for two weeks before
they'll be able to eat anything larger.

WHEW! 4 months of work to breed these guys?
Wouldn"t it be funny if it turned out that welakas were just as easy to
breed, but no one ever thought of spending four months on the project?
BG, you've tried pretty much everything else so far; have you tried
this?