NANFA-- Mudminnows, Franklin Co OH 2-28-2004

Mark (nanfa_at_jonahsaquarium.com)
Sun, 29 Feb 2004 17:35:35 -0500

At 11:12 PM -0500 2/28/04, Todd Crail wrote:
>Talk about specific habitat! I'm not sure where the heck they
>(mudminnows) were hiding, but they were _only_ found over sand, at
>the bank, with a _little_ bit of vegetation hanging over. They must
>have been hanging in crayfish holes or something.

I wonder if they come out into more open areas so they can see each
other in preparation for spawning. Kind of sizing each other up,
competing for territory? I wonder what proportion of males versus
females you were catching. Was it mainly the males that were in the
less sheltered areas along the bank? I'm also jealous of your
pickerel finds. Mike, Lee, Silas and I met at Delaware reservoir
Saturday, but no luck. The water was _way_ down, and all of the
weedy shore areas where the pickerels were last summer were high and
dry. Then we went to a place on Big Darby that was productive last
year and struck out there. Maybe smaller water places where
pickerels live are easier to work this time of year. Again, the
marginal vegetation was rotted down to nubs, and even though there
was plenty of water, there were no pickerels seen there. Did see:

2-28-2004 Big Darby Ck at Scioto Darby/Price Hilliards Rd
rosefin shiner
striped shiner
fantail darter
johnny darter
rainbow darter
orangethroat darter
greenside darter
bluntnose minnow
hogsucker
spotfin shiner
rockbass
leach
crayfish

Beautiful day. Really nice to be out for a little while. Also
enjoyed meeting Mike, Lee and Silas. Put me in the mood for more
fishin'. When's the next trip? Oh, yeah, bowfin angling sometime in
the next few weeks (Wooster Ohio). Who's in?

--
Mark
Ohio