RE: NANFA-- Underwater observations

Whitlock, Steve (Steve_Whitlock_at_jdedwards.com)
Tue, 18 Jan 2000 10:44:30 -0700

I've missed some of the underwater photography discussion, so I apologize if
any of my questions have already been addressed.

Anyway, I am in the process of purchasing a few "one-time use waterproof
cameras"....ie disposables.

Well, has anyone had experience with these? Specifically, I'm wondering if
the Fuji is better than the Kodak or visa versa. Additionally, I am wanting
to know if anyone has tried a disposable camera that has a flash and if it
significantly helped the quality of pictures.

Lastly, I am wanting any tips for taking pictures underwater.... how close
to get, how much light is needed, how to approach fish, etc.

Thanks in advance.

SW

-----Original Message-----
From: mcclurg luke e
Sent: Tuesday, January 18, 2000 10:04 AM
To: North American Native Fish Association
Subject: NANFA-- Underwater observations

With the recent talk on underwater photography and all I just wanted to
share this little snippet. The Missouri Dept. of Conservation does a
"Missouri Outdoors" show that is shown locall on PBS every Saturday
Morning. A couple of weeks ago the did two interesting segments. The
first was on the Topeka Shiner and it's decline and what the dept. and
private landowners are trying to do to restore stream quality and
hopefully restore shiner populations. The second was on snorkeling to
count the populations of Niangua Darters in central Missouri. It talked
about all the colorful fish that can be seen while snorkeling and how they
will come up to you unafraid. Also mentioned that this technique is
gaining in popularity as it is less intrusive to the fishes. Neat
footage, but they were both short pieces less than five minutes long.

Luke