Re: NANFA-- Easy Fish Question

Michael Wolfe (mwolfe_at_mindspring.com)
Thu, 27 Jan 2000 19:44:03 -0500

A couple of people asked how the emerald shiners were doing. Well, out of
the original two dozen, we still have about sixteen that are eating cichlid
flakes and blood worms. Most of these dies during the first few days when
the tank was cycling. One tried to make and escape... out the top of the
tank... and wound up low and dry on the carpet.

I don't know anything about shipping fish, but around here (NE Ohio) the
emeralds are $1 a dozen as bait and were supposedly collected from lake Erie
(or some bays/harbors of the main lake).

I have a another question... maybe not so easy this time. Luke mentions
cative propagated... well, what conditions would I need for emerald shiners
to breed in the 55 gallon setup? I assume I have some males and some
females out of the 16 or so survivors. I have SeaChem's fourite as a
substrate, am planning on plants later in the spring when I can get my light
hood finished and get some out of the local pond and streams. Only current
decorations are a couple of peices of driftwood from a local stream. So
what else would it take... special temps, or photoperiod? Let me know,
maybe we could spawn some?

MWolfe

At 12:14 PM 1/26/00 -0600, you wrote:

>This brings something to mind. In many parts of the country, different
>species are sold for bait. I was wondering what is available out there
>and if anyone would like to "link up" and try to help others finding
>certain species. For example, I would like to have some Emerald Shiners,
>but they are declining here and I'm hesitant to collect any. But captive
>propagated ones would be fine if someone could send me some. Likewise,
>perhaps someone needs Golden shiners or Fathead minnows which are used
>here...anyway, you get the point. Anyone interested?
>
>Luke
>

>On Wed, 26 Jan 2000 DasArm_at_aol.com wrote:
>
>> In a message dated 1/24/00 4:32:55 PM Eastern Standard Time,
>> mwolfe_at_mindspring.com writes:
>>
>> << I
>> went to a bait store and got a couple of dozen emerald shiners for my 55
>> gallon tank. >>
>>
>> I think that it's cool that you're trying out emerald shiners. I myself plan
>> on keeping them when I get space. Let me know how this turns out in the
>> future.

MWolfe