Re: NANFA-- Notropis atherinoides, Spawning, Emerald Shiner

Mark B (mbinkley_at_earthling.net)
Sat, 29 Jan 2000 21:55:45 -0500

At 7:44 PM -0500 1/27/00, Michael Wolfe wrote:
>I have a another question... maybe not so easy this time. Luke mentions
>cative propagated... well, what conditions would I need for emerald shiners
>to breed in the 55 gallon setup? I assume I have some males and some
>females out of the 16 or so survivors. I have SeaChem's fourite as a
>substrate, am planning on plants later in the spring when I can get my light
>hood finished and get some out of the local pond and streams. Only current
>decorations are a couple of peices of driftwood from a local stream. So
>what else would it take... special temps, or photoperiod? Let me know,
>maybe we could spawn some?

Here's some info from Fishes of Tennessee by Etnier and Starnes - "...quite
pelagic in it's habitats and occurs in lakes, reservoirs, big rivers, and
occassionally enters mouths of smaller creeks. ...Food consists primarily
of zooplankton, midge larvae and pupae, algae, and adult insects (lakes and
reservoirs) and adult aquatic and terrestrial insects and aquatic insect
immatures in rivers. Spawning is reported to be at night, often in large
schools, in 2 to 6 meter depths over a variety of firm substrates, and
occurs from late spring through mid August, but is concentrated between
late May and early July in Tennessee. The 2000 to 3000 eggs produced by
each female are reported to harch in 24 to 32 hours. Sexual maturity is
probably reached during the first year, and life span is three years.
Widely used as a bait minnow, although difficult to keep alive in warm
weather."

Mark Binkley
Columbus Ohio USA <))><
mbinkley_at_earthling.net