RE: NANFA-- lighting

Ken Wintin (kwintin_at_desertmuseum.org)
Fri, 19 Jan 2001 11:30:59 -0800

-----Original Message-----
From: Nicholas J. Zarlinga [SMTP:njz_at_clevelandmetroparks.com]
Sent: Friday, January 19, 2001 6:00 AM
To: 'nanfa_at_aquaria.net'
Subject: NANFA-- lighting /plants

Greetings everyone. Your recent discussions on lighting was finally enough
to get this "lurker" to break new ground and put in my three cent

Nicholas,
I think that you hit the proverbial nail on the head about intensity. I
like to use metal halide, when I can afford it, at about 5,500K. I also
use R.O./deionized water. In a recent issue of FAMA Marc Weiss claimed
that his additive will give the plants all the carbon they need without
adding CO2. He also claims that plants thrive with the additive and no
CO2. Any body know anything about this? CO2 is something of a pain in the
butt, and I would like to get away from using it if there really is a way.
Ken