NANFA-- CO2? - Fill your planted tanks with mudminnows or anabantids!

Mark (mbinkley_at_columbus.rr.com)
Fri, 19 Jan 2001 15:06:57 -0500

At 11:30 AM -0800 1/19/01, Ken Wintin wrote:
>In a recent issue of FAMA Marc Weiss claimed
>that his additive will give the plants all the carbon they need without
>adding CO2. He also claims that plants thrive with the additive and no
>CO2. Any body know anything about this? CO2 is something of a pain in the
>butt, and I would like to get away from using it if there really is a way.

Speaking from complete ignorance, I would make two observations -- First, I
would expect that CO2 as a carbon source would be irreplaceable. Any plant
physiologists out there? If these additives can produce dissolved CO2 in
the water, then that's all you need, right? I guess another possible
carbon source would be that which is used in tissue culture, where
carbohydrates are fed to the plants directly. This has to be done in
sterile conditions so that the carbohydrates are not consumed by
microorganisms. Still, you don't get normal plant growth without
photosynthesis, which as far as I know, requires CO2 (carbon dioxide gas).
Second, my suggestion for adding CO2 would be by adding fish or other
respiring aquatic creatures. Perhaps air breathing fishes would be
preferable, since they don't require high oxygenation and, as far as I
know, release CO2 via their gills, directly into the water. Anyone know
whether air breathing fishes use the atmosphere to release CO2? Hmm, never
thought about that! So, here's a new idea (as far as I know) -- fill your
planted tanks with mudminnows or anabantids!

Need mudminnows? Visit...
http://jonahsaquarium.com/

Mark
Columbus Ohio USA <))><