Re: NANFA-- Syngnathus sp

Brian Bastarache (bast_at_ici.net)
Mon, 22 Jan 2001 19:18:19 -0500

I have kept many northern pipefish, S. fuscus. They can be found in very
diluted salt water of estuaries, but Rego and I most often collect them in
the ocean. I have a hard time keeping them. I keep them with seahorses
(Hippocampus erectus) we collect. The seahorses usually do fine. I had
one for over a year. Given that they only live for 3-4 years and we have
only collected adults, I was happy with that "longevity". The pipes wither
and surcum over 4-6 months on the same diet, in the same tank!

I thought seahorses were the difficult ones! We can collect them. They
are neat and I would love to have the on display in the museum, but I have
no need to sacrifice any more. Anyone have any info?

Brian Bastarache
NANFA- New England
Bristol County Natural History Center

At 05:39 AM 1/21/01 -0500, you wrote:
>I have one question:
>Is any freshwater Syngnathus species in North America? If yes does
>anyone succeeded to photograph the courtship sequences?
>Thanks sorin damian

---