Re: NANFA-- Re: Myriophyllum

sorinus (sorin_at_imajis.com)
Tue, 23 Jan 2001 17:25:20 -0500

Mark, it is very easy. In outside ponds M. brasilinese is rampant, and
this is a very good quality for fish breeders which needs a lot of fine
leaved plants. In temperate areas they keep them outside in the summer
time as a continuous "disposable" spawning substrate. M . brasilines eis
indiferent to the quality or type of substrate in the tank, plainly
becaus eit can stay in the tank just as a floating plant. Not anchored
in the sand, will form long funny looking whiitish roots.. I've seen
brasiliense for sale on the west coast, ank keeping it in a tank is like
a breeze. In a medium lit tank be it with fluorescent light (generous
range from one end to the other of the spectrum) or better with
incandescend bulbs, they will flourish without any problem. Water
chemistry shouldn't be a concern, unless you have "exotic" and rare
requirements, but neutral pH to slightly acidic and medium hardness
around 10-15 DGH will be perfect ( I don't know hardness in ppm, maybe a
kind person here will help us with a conversion). The big advantage of
brasiliense as well as many other Myriophylum species is the fact that
they are a very good spawning substrate for Cyprinids and Characids. M.
brasiliense will thrive very well in nearly "saltless" waters (distiled
or rain water), like the kind of water people use to breed characins
(neons, angelfishes, discus, and all the amazon characins we grew up
with).I mean brasilinse thrive well in very acidic and soft waters, the
only water characins will breed succesfully. That is why brasiliense is
as god a choice as
Vesicularia dubiana as a spawning substrate. Of course you have a choice
of plastic substrates today, but we are talking about Myriophillum, not
about the best or most efficient spawning substrate. hope it helps.
Regards sorin damian