Re: NANFA-- Syngnathus

sorinus (sorin_at_imajis.com)
Tue, 23 Jan 2001 18:22:26 -0500

Don't worry Bruce,
I remember that trip I made once, looking for what else? fishes..of
course..so, we got freshwater gobies, some brackish Atherina (watch out
guys, this is like the difficult Labidesthes from around here), some
other brackish gobies and such. When I got home my teacher, wanted to
see what I got in my buckets. Now, because taht trip was in March and
because we got snowed when in the water draging those heavy nets...we
had to stop on the way home and get some "energizers" in our
blood...translated into heavy alcohol or scotch...well, saying that,
when I tried to "present" the captures to Herr Professor, I started to
mix the buckets and I was telling him something like this..."Here are
fishes from a brackish habitat (this was the bucket with plain
freshwater)...here are fishes from that freshwater former lagoon..and
soon on. The poor professor was getting a heart attack: Whoa, he
said...you know someting? You are the first one in this world reporting
THIS freshwater species from a brackish habitat, and this brakish/marine
species from a freshwater habitat. I am 70 years old and I never seen
something like this.
Next day when we woke up from both the demolishing trip as well as the
alcohol binge, we told him that we were not able to point exactly which
bucket belonged to which habitat. The old man started to cry. He really
wanted to have buckets switched back.

So, Bruce, maybe one day you'll get those scovelli around your place in
"Sweet Home Alabama" , too.

Kind regards
sorin