Re: NANFA-- Red in the face (but not mean) worms....

Brian Haas (bhaas_at_dubuque.net)
Mon, 29 Jan 2001 15:21:45 -0600

Gary:

Go to {http://www.wnrmag.com/supps/1998/dec98/intro.htm} for a great
coverage of everything involved in growing worms. The author of the
article didn't intend to keep aquarium fish, but the same methods still
apply.

The basic approach:
-box: several holes in bottom for drainage
-bedding: initially, part shredded newspaper, part peat; later, the food
breaks down and adds to it.
-food: table scraps, i.e. veggies, occasional egg shell. Anything that
won't make a stink, basically.
-location: needs to be somewhat cool

As for me, I've used that article to build my own worm box, but so far my
results haven't been too successful. I don't exactly know what I've done
wrong. I blame my failure on the excessively cold winter temperatures in
the shop (note: my worms reside in the shop; my mom was entirely against
having a worm box in the house, no matter how many times I showed her the
part of the article that said, "a properly maintained worm box will never
stink." Good luck with your wife. You have my sympathy.)

Respects,
Travis Haas
Hazel Green, Wisconsin (a Junior in high school)
"I wonder if they allow worm boxes in dorm rooms?"