Re: NANFA-- Osmoregulation in brackish water fish

Bruce Stallsmith (fundulus_at_hotmail.com)
Sat, 19 Jan 2002 21:12:09 -0500

<x-flowed>
>From: "Bob Bock" <bockhouse_at_earthlink.net>
>To: <nanfa_at_aquaria.net>
>Subject: NANFA-- Osmoregulation in brackish water fish
>Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2002 19:08:23 -0500
>
>Anybody know of a good reference on osmoregulation in brackishwater fish?
Not off the top of my head... but as mentioned before, there are researchers
at Dalhousie Univ. in Nova Scotia who have been working on this problem with
Fundulus heteroclitus, among other species (I forget their names! Damn!). If
you did a search on-line, the phrase "chloride cells" would likely lead you
to something even if they're not the primary cells as once thought. Or, the
hormone prolactin which switches osmoregulatory function in anadromous
salmonids in ways not entirely understood yet.

I hope to come back with a more coherent ref.

--Bruce Stallsmith
Huntsville, AL, US of A