RE: NANFA-- weird darter illness?

Nick Zarlinga (njz_at_clevelandmetroparks.com)
Mon, 13 Jan 2003 11:17:52 -0500

Todd, one thing to remember is that O2 levels are independent of CO2 levels.
You can have a high O2 concentration with high CO2 levels also. The amount
of CO2 that is required in a plant system is not detrimental to fish. The
problem is when the CO2 is still added at night, and the plants and animals
are using the O2. Then the CO2 can be very dangerous, as you pointed out.

Nick Zarlinga
Aquarium Biologist
Cleveland Metroparks Zoo
216.661.6500 ext 4485

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-nanfa_at_aquaria.net On Behalf
Of Crail, Todd
Sent: Monday, January 13, 2003 10:51 AM
To: nanfa_at_aquaria.net
Subject: RE: NANFA-- weird darter illness?

I'll let Nick qualify his own use of "never" :)

However, I feel we're talking apples and oranges here (esp since we don't
know
what Geoff's system setup is :). With heavily planted systems, you're dead
on. Heck, on my rainbowfish aquarium at home, I'm getting ready to add
*nitrate* to help push the system forward... How different is that from the
"textbook"? ;)

In a system that *doesn't* rely on plants or some other oxygenating
mechanism,
finely ground CO2 is a big, big no-no, and the aquarist would want to
diffuse
as much CO2 off from the system as possible (injecting more is even worse).
Especially in a system that houses high dissolved oxygen requiring animals
such as riffle dwelling darters.

The only O2 generating mechanism (besides surface gas exchange) in this
system
is algae (which does a substantial amount of oxygenating). However, if
there's
a canister filter on this type of less-natural system, the bacteria
respiration in the canister alone is going to counter that, in my opinion.
Which means when the algae are not releasing their products of
photosynthesis
at night, the system is in grave danger of oxygen depression or depletion.

Add to this DO2 depression a supersaturation of CO2 and nitrogen (maximizing
the potential availability of those molecules), and you get animals
whirlygigging all over the place. Once the algae go to "bed" at "night", it
gets deadly, and right quick.

What's amazing is you can take them from this whirlygigged disposition, move
them to a more stable DO2 environment, and they bounce out of it like magic.

I "worked" with this indepth at my fish shop, with all sorts of lab grade
probes and what not. I can type up the scenario later on, if we think this
would be of some benefit to understanding how I observed animal health in
concern to DO2 and photosynthesis. Certainly not worthy of a real paper,
but
the modest anecdote's results were quite impressive, and certainly changed
the
way I view my aquaria.

Todd